Thursday, July 23, 2009

Motorcycles. Hell yes.




Us men went on our first motorcycle ride together tonight. I, as I always do, had a good time on two wheels. J, on the other hand, had a GREAT time on his first ride!!!

I fired up the bike in the garage and sat with J on the tank for a few minutes to make sure he wasn't scared. He wasn't.

I started to inch forward. Scared? Not a chance.

But his mother was.

Nat didn't think it was a good idea for us to hit the road, but I promised we'd be safe and move slowly, so she moved out of the way and we puttered up and down Jefferson and Larnard a few times. I tried to keep my left arm around J's belly to make sure he didn't lean one way or the other, but he wouldn't have it. He was pushing it away just like Grandpa Paul said he did when they went on their last 4-wheeler ride. He sat tight, enjoying the ride.

J insisted on wearing the shades, so I went without. And he loved honking the Yamaha's puny horn. We 'beep-beep-beeped' at Nat and waved as we drove by (she watched from the front stoop), and made sure to wave at everyone and everything (including the neighbor dogs) as we passed.

J hated to get off; he was so upset he cried straight through his bath and through part of his bottle. I'm sure he's dreaming of motorcycles now, so he and I will have to make nightly rides a tradition.

No comments: